Featured post

Happier songs people need to know about

Happier songs people need to know about



Here's another list of songs that more people need to know about, again these aren't songs that only I know by any means but they're songs that I haven't heard many people talk about. I realised that my first list was pretty  depressing so I've tried to make this list a bit more upbeat, probably not entirely achieved that but oh well. As always there's a playlist of the songs at the bottom.

Everyone You Know - Our Generation
Everyone You Know are a fairly unique group, they blend indie vibes with hip-hop verses and beats while adding in a lot of electronic and dance elements, but this is one of their more straight-forward songs. The music's catchy, the lyrics are relatable and it sounds brilliant with the crowd singing it back live. 

Pegasus Bridge - Yoko
Not too much to say about this one in many ways, the lyrics are fairly nonsensical seemingly being about John Lennon and Yoko Ono (although it could be a lot deeper than this), the synths, steady bass and drums all are just to allow the repetitve and catchy chorus to come centre stage.

Stepdad - Must Land Running
I always feel like this song should be used for those 'People Are Awesome' compilations or something similar, the song's not in your face or over the top but still somehow manages to be incredibly jubilant and celebratory.

Primitive Radio Gods - Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand
Not an incredibly upbeat song but I think it just feels like someone who's fully content. The band did very little else of note, but this song is so good despite the weird glitchy instrumentals and odd sampling, the chaos leading to clarity is what makes it so good. 

The Rural Alberta Advantage - Don't Haunt This Place
I have difficulty explaining why I love this song quite as much as I do, perhaps it's the looping lyrics, maybe it's the repetitive and simple drum beat. Whatever it is, it all combines to be just such a simple but infectious song. 

Inhaler - My Honest Face
Inhaler are one of the reasons I considered going to Reading this year, a band with obviously really great potential and this shows that off very well just as a masterpiece in indie-rock

We Were Promised Jetpacks - Quiet Little Voices
Proof once again that Scottish accents somehow just make songs so much better, another one that's unclear as to what it's about and it's not neccessarily that happy but just a banger really.

Snowden - Anti-Anti
To my knowledge this band only really have the album that this song is from plus a pretty crappy second effort, which is a shame considering that this has a fairly unique sound and muddy production all in all producing a different type of indie-rock.

Frog - Judy Garland
It's a bit of a theme on this list that the lyrics are nonsensical, and this is another song about a celebrity that doesn't really make sense at all, but again it gets you whistling and singing along and forces the chorus deep in your head.  

Hotel Mira - Southern Comforting
Really not sure why but all I can think of when I hear this song is a mix of Nice Guys and Softbois with that sort of pining/cringe tone, but it's not really that deep at the end of the day, it's a song with a catchy chorus, muggy instrumentals and nonsense lyrics, a perfect contender for this list. 

I realise I'm starting to become a blog of lists, so I'll be doing some more album reviews soon as well as some general discussions on music.

Subscribe to get post notifications and follow my Twitter and Spotify

Comments